Friday, September 25, 2020

Relaxed Day...39º

 Waking up to the sound of rain outside of our bedroom window, I breathed a sigh of relief...A day of rest and recuperation...Breakfast was an "egg scramble," using leftover veggies, meat and cheese with toasted pancakes on the side...My mind always turns to baking on a day like this...Rusty doesn't eat much sweet stuff these days so bread was my other option...Looking in the fridge again, I spied a jar with one lone dill pickle and all the dill, garlic and juice that went with it...Pickle bread was the choice.

I had kept the sourdough start working on the counter, so fed it more flour and warm water, it was soon bubbling away...Russ said, "Mom, have you ever tried making that bread with chunks of garlic in it,?" as he walked out the door, looking for a project to keep him busy for the day...Did I say rest and relax?

I mixed about 6# of dough, using bread flour, wholewheat flour, salt, butter, molasses, 1 egg and just sourdough starter for the leavening, (no yeast)...I wanted a strong dough but a soft crust to make hamburger buns as well as free shaped loaves and yes, one with chunks of garlic.

Chunks of garlic lightly sautéed in butter made the kitchen smell oh, so wonderful...I decided to add chunks of aged yellow cheddar to the loaf...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

Ready to roll into a loaf.

Giant buns for 1/2# burgers

2 pickle and 1 garlic/cheese 

Giant Buns

Cooked, cooled, ready to slice.

No comments:

Post a Comment