Monday, November 16, 2020

Canning/Jarring...32º

Jarring to me means, causing a physical shock, jolt or vibration...Way back when, food was "canned in cans," to preserve it...Somewhere along the line, glass Mason jars were invented but the process was still called canning...For many years we canned food, even though we used glass jars for the process...It is easy for me to say, " I spent the day canning turkey," but hard for me to say, with a straight face, "I spent the day "jarring" turkey."

Yesterday as I finished canning the last of 60 pounds of turkey meat, I wondered, how did this crazy ritual of canning turkey for family and friends get started...Blame it on my mother and dad...I'm not sure of the exact year that Daddy came home with a "pressure cooker, (long before I was born)," but they were living in Wyoming, Daddy was working on a cattle ranch and it was the start of the great depression...They already had 3 children and another one on the way...("Birth control" was not in the dictionary)...They didn't have electricity, or running water...For heat and cooking they had a wood stove.

After canning for 4 days, with all the modern conveniences , I can't even imagine how she did it...First of all they would have had to butcher the turkey, split the wood, haul snow and melt it for water, fix meals, take care of 3 children, and have them underfoot in a ramshackle house, provided by the cattle company, while she sterilized jars, packed them full of meat, and kept the pressure just right for 75 minutes to "CAN" the turkey...AND yes, the baby was still in diapers...All of this is rather JARRING!...Hugs to All...OWAV:)

That's enough for today, tomorrow I will finish this story about "canning," using the same pressure cooker that Mom started with in the 1930's. 



No comments:

Post a Comment