Sunday, November 29, 2020

Mona 12-14-1936...

 Mona was born on a winter day, her birth overshadowed by the illness and death of her older brother, 2 1/2 year old Joel...Joel died less than a week later, on 12-20-1936, of double pneumonia...Even in their grief, they welcomed this tiny little girl, of about 4 pounds...Small enough that she fit in Daddy's shoe box and was kept in the warmest place in the ramshackled house...The shoe box fit perfectly on the open door of the wood/coal cookstove that heated the house and cooked their meals...In the last week of his life, Joel named this new little sister, Mona...As far as I know, the origin of the name was unknown.

Mona joined older siblings, Loraine 10, Barbara 8, George 5 1/2, Joel 2 1/2..Mona was a happy baby, she grew and thrived in this environment with extra care from the older children and loving parents...What our family may have lacked in material wealth, was more than made up for in love...I don't remember the word love spoken out loud, but we were loved and cherished, and taught by example to love one another...  We were reprimanded by a word, or a look, not by a belt...Maybe a swat on the butt, to get our attention!

Your Grandma Mona, grew up in a world where everyone worked together...There was no "women's" work or "men's" work, everyone just did what needed to be done and many times, I remember Daddy saying, "Lets all help your Mother with the supper dishes, then we can all sit together, before bedtime."It was not beneath him, to put his hands in dishwater or grab a dish towel, because he knew that Mom had worked hard all day,  then helped milk the cows, before fixing supper. ..

Growing up in this way, your Grandma, drove tractor, milked cows, herder cattle, shoveled manure and made sure all animals were fed, watered and had a clean, sheltered place to spend the night, before we all left the barnyard, went into the house and ate the supper that our Mother put on the table...Another lesson we learned at the table, was to eat what was put before us and be damn thankful, that we had food to eat.

Mona used this work ethic her entire life as she and your Grandfather worked together, he working and going to school and she working and taking care of a household, so that eventually they could have a good life...Sending more love and hugs to the Park Family...OWAV:)

Joe, Blanche, Baby Mona
                                                                                        

                              Blanche holding Mona, Barbara Loraine & George 

                               Joe holding Mona, Barbara, Loraine & George 

3 comments:

  1. Good...morning Oma.

    My name is Shannon. I found your Blog after days of research looking for information.

    This is going to be an out of left field message, but I'm going to try anyway.

    My Mum passed away in 1998. All of her personal possessions, and a lot of my own were stolen or destroyed after her death when my step-father rented out their home while he worked out of town. I have no records of her past. Very few photos, and no official documents.

    Now, why am I writing to you? After many days and endless hours, I came across your blog mentioning that you attended Excelcis Beauty School in Boise. My Mum went to a cosmetology school in Boise after High School, but I don't have any idea of what school she went to, or if there was only one during those years. She would have graduated high school around 1962-63. All I can recall her telling me is that she went directly to beauty school, and then off to Reno to work in a salon there.

    Phew, after all that...I was wondering if you have any recollection as to the different beauty schools in Boise around 1962-1965.

    All of my mother's family is gone, and I am trying very hard to record things about her life. I quite literally have nothing of hers. I don't even know where she lived when she graduated from high school!

    Again, my name is Shannon and my email is: yankeeyaya@gmail.com

    If you have any information you might be able to share about Beauty Schools in Boise during those years, I would appreciate it.

    Thank you for your time, and thank you for sharing this blog. What a treasure and legacy for your family. They are blessed indeed!

    Sincerely,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon, I sent you an email.

    ReplyDelete