Saturday, May 26, 2012

Corny...48º

While shopping for groceries on Thursday, I did the unthinkable...Ears of corn piled high caught my eye...I choose 3 ( 3 for $1.00 was the sale price) of them knowing they had been in transport coming from somewhere far away...I like eating with the seasons and right now we are eating asparagus at least every other day until we finally get our fill...But the corn was calling me.

I fixed each of us an ear of corn along with pork chops and as Herb says, "Almost anything tastes good with butter and salt on it." It tasted----okay...Now when we were first married 51 years ago in June, Herb talked about something called "corn cakes"...Actually they are pancakes with grated corn (right off the cob) added to the batter, topped with fresh applesauce, late in the fall...Everything in season...I grew to like them and so did our children...We branched out, eating them with other fresh fruit, peanut butter or just plain syrup...So on Friday morning with one ear of "corn" leftover, I grated it into the pancake batter for our breakfast, Herb ate his happily with syrup...I forgot to mention that I made another unthinkable purchase on Thursday..."Cardboard Strawberries"...So I diced two of the strawberries, added them to a small amount of homemade berry jam and topped my corn cakes with peanut butter and the strawberry jam mixture...They were very good!..Of course the corn and strawberries added only texture but since peanut butter and jam are a favorite of mine I was happy with my breakfast...Only thing lacking was a dollop of whipped cream...Hugs to All...  OWAV:)

Corn Cakes topped with Strawberries and Jam




No comments:

Post a Comment