Saturday, January 10, 2015

Boiling the Bones...25º

It would be so easy to throw the bones in the trash can, but my Mother would haunt me forever...So we put the bones in a huge kettle, cover with water, add salt and simmer until we have a clear, rich broth...Drain the broth to be canned and placed on the cellar shelves...That is what she taught me to do.

The three of us know the ritual as we start the canning process...Prepping: Thawing, sawing, cleaning, boning, chunking...Hauling, setting up, sterilizing, packing the jars...We started yesterday with Herb, fetching and carrying, Rusty and I boned two turkeys and have them ready for the jars this morning...Bones are boiling (simmering) making the lucious broth, that will also be canned...In between doing these things I mixed and baked 6 loaves of sourdough bread, fixed plates of cookies, breads and pickled asparagus wrapped in ham, for the Josephy Center and FishTrap fireside...Prepared dinner of roast beef, mashed potatoes and salad...Late evening I attended the Fireside especially to hear friend Amy Zahm read...It was enjoyable, but I was tired, the drive was foggy so I slipped out early to come home and enjoy a glass of wine with my guys before bedtime.

Up early this morning, the dishwasher is running with the first load of jars, canner and gas stove is set up, broth is simmering...I must get dressed and moving as we have a busy day ahead...Hugs To All...OWAV:)


No comments:

Post a Comment