Monday, January 23, 2017

Biscuits/Hockey Pucks...20º

My first attempt after a sourdough class and a new recipe...The biscuits raised nicely and had some layering but they were very crusty around the edges, a bit heavy and dense...A tangy sour dough flavor was tempered with butter and a dollop of homemade plum jam...For my first batch, how about a C+...I measured accurately but my starter was quite thick so I think less flour, next time, will make a difference...Herb said, "They are somewhere between hockey pucks and biscuits, so feel free to practice some more."

So since baking is fun for me I will play with this new recipe, using less flour, getting a feel for the dough, maybe adjust the oven temperatue a bit and see what happens.

Just out of the oven

Ready to serve.

For comparison I have included (below) the photo of the sourdough biscuits that I made last week and served to company...But remember those biscuits were made after years of working with the recipe, getting a feel for the dough AND the basic recipe has milk instead of water for the liquid, making a richer dough.

Biscuits from last week.

 Wondering what we might have for dinner yesterday I again was into the dough with both hands...Since I love to experiment here goes:

1 cup bread flour in a bowl, make a well, add 1/2 cup working starter, 1/2 tsp instant yeast, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt and 3 tbl cream...Gently incorporate the flour into the liquid forming a soft dough, knead about 5 minutes...Let raise until double, roll dough to desired thickness, put on a greased cookie sheet, brush with oil and let raise...For the sauce I used home roasted tomatoes, that I have in the freezer, diced them fine and liberally scattered over the crust, added other toppings including sausage, cheese, peppers, onions, olives and broccoli...(more toppings than I needed!) Cooked for 20 minutes at 425º.

Pizza with an excellent crust peeking out!

My e-book of recipes arrived in the mail this morning but I made myself write this blog before looking at it...Join me tomorrow to see what happens...Did Oma clean house, plan meals for the week or play in the dough?...Hugs To All...OWAV:)


No comments:

Post a Comment