Thursday, January 19, 2017

Comfort Food...29º

More icy snow overnight, looking at the road reports Union County is still windy, icy, snowy and cold...Roads are intermittently opened then closed...Schools are closed or on a two hour delay...Wallowa County hasn't posted anything yet and it is hard to tell just by looking out our windows, how slick it might be...Forecast for the next week is snow and temps in the mid 20's for a high...With weather like this for my topic today, I have picked comfort food.

On Sunday I fixed comfort food and invited friends to join us...Roast beef, mashed potatoes/gravy, lemon green beans (a new recipe), salad, sourdough biscuits and pie...All of these things are easy for me except the biscuits...Many years ago at a potluck dinner I ate the most incredible biscuits ever and asked for the recipe...The recipe was hand written, with good directions...I couldn't wait to try them...They turned out like bricks!..I knew virtually nothing about sourdough, so over the years, I've researched talked to old timers, and tried the recipe again and again...Over the years the biscuits improved but never like the biscuits I ate that day, many years ago...So on Sunday, knowing that my friends will eat my bread, no matter how it turns out, I tried again...For the first time, the biscuits really raised and in the oven they raised even more...The biscuits were wonderful!...I'm sure I need more practice and just saw a class advertised on FB that's all about sourdough to be held this Saturday in Joseph...I think I will sign up, never to late to learn...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

PS...Many thanks to Cassie Botts for the sourdough biscuit recipe.




No comments:

Post a Comment