Sunday, June 25, 2023

Frustrations, Moving on...Rainy/warming trend 50º

I had an idea that taking care of legal matters after Herbs death might be frustrating and it definitely is. The state of Oregon has made it more so when the first death certificates, that they issued, someone decided that a town called Moira, NY, was no longer a town, so they change it to Mariah, thus changing Herbs birth place!..I picked up the newly issued death certificates on Thursday, more than a month later, and also received a packet in the mail from the government with Herbs retirement papers to fill out, and get changed into my name...Now I just have to fill out a stack of forms, return them and a death certificate and it can be up to 4 months before a check shows up in the checking account.

As Rusty and I left the mortuary on May 15th, we were under the impression that the social security end of this had been taken care of, but I had received nothing from them, so made a few phone calls and found out that they are notified of the death but it was up to me to contact SS...Easier said than done...I waited on hold for an hour on SS "hotline" for a live person, who would make an appointment for me at the LaGrande office...I will be notified by phone to confirm, (from anywhere in the US, so make sure I answer all incoming phone calls) or I could lose the appointment...GRRRR

By the way the SS lump sum death benefit is $255.00, and in 1961 when my father died, my Mom got $210.46...I did a little research and this increased by about a dollar a year until 1982 and has now stayed the same $255.00 for about 40 years...As they say, "don't look a gift horse in the mouth," as I wait with "bated breath" for the phone call,,, Is it really worth any more of my time, to drive to LaGrande, to keep the appointment for $255.00, as I see every where I look at the way the government spends, wastes my tax money and how they are always looking for ways to do away with Social Security for old people!

Enough of this, I am very lucky to have what I have but the "Government" drives me crazy!..Deep Breaths...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

A Happy Photo
                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment