Thursday, January 30, 2014

Good Food...23º

In between reading True Grit, A new mystery series, Get Your Pitchfork On and thumbing through the Smitten Kitchen cookbook, I'm about half way through a book called "French Kids Eat Everything..."I should have moved to France about 60 years ago or at least read this book to further my belief that kids should eat what is put before them...No snacking, no choices, no short order kitchen, no whiny kids, no playing with their food...It is all about coming to the table hungry and eating what is on your plate or going away even hungrier...(I have to qualify here that it needs to be good food...) Meaning home cooked, as fresh as possible and not prepackaged, filled with preservatives, instant preparation (cheese and crackers in a package...)

According to this book, children in France are educated about eating at home and also in school...A half hour is dedicated to eating a hot lunch at school, (no choices) where teachers are present to explain any new foods...Lunch is considered a "class." It is also a popular belief that a child might have to try a food seven or eight times before they learn to like it...I like that!

I could go on and on here but I see eyes glazing over and eyes rolling as my audience thinks "Oh no, she's on her soapbox again."  But I won't go on, just one more comment...In the good ole US of A, it was decided that kids should have choices, they should never be reprimanded for fear of hurting their "psyche" and they should be praised for every act good or not...So what have we raised?..A whole generation who thinks they are God's gift to the world and that the world owes them a living...(I know this is a generality but I think it has some truth.)

I believe that children should be loved, held and cuddled, nourished, encouraged to do their best, expected to respect their parents, friends, teachers, fellow man and the earth we live on...Done for now...Hugs To All...OWAV:)




No comments:

Post a Comment