Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Door Stops...36º

Started early yesterday, batch of bread mixed and rising...Herb punched it down a couple of times while I was at Write People and it was ready to pan when I got home...Strange feeling dough without its usual elasticity...The loaves rose but had huge cracks in the top, didn't brown in the oven like they should have, heavy as bricks when I took them out of the pans!..Now we have a whole set of door stops.

I have to blame it on the whole wheat that I purchased at Andy's (in College Place.)  It was labeled "hard red wheat." Herb ground it fresh yesterday, but evidently it wasn't the kind of wheat that is high in gluten that works best for bread...We will use some of the bread, but will have to share most of it with the birds and squirrels...I have the sour dough starter working again this morning and will try another batch in a few days...Raining here this morning but should clear by 11am, just in time for our walk...Hugs To All...OWAV:)




No comments:

Post a Comment