Saturday, April 25, 2015

Sunny--So far...25º

Forecast is saying possible rain or snow this morning, more rain this afternoon...Doesn't look like it now but that doesn't mean it won't happen...We had a good soaking rain on Thursday night and would really like another one!..But we will take what we get and be happy.

It was wet and cold yesterday morning so I busied myself in the house, started a pot of clam chowder for our dinner...While the chowder simmered, I dashed outside to the rhubarb plant and pulled about 10 almost foot long stocks...They are fat, bright red, plump and look good enough to take a bite, (but I know better.)..Herbs Dad always called it pie plant and that was Herbs first reaction but I said no, just a crisp, its easier...So I diced the rhubarb, sprinkled it with sugar and nutmeg mixed with a little flour, beat two large eggs and poured them over top before adding a mixture of flour, sugar, oats for the final topping...Baked 30 minutes in a 400º oven and we ate it with whipped cream on top.

Rhubarb Crisp

I learned something new yesterday...Having no whipping cream on hand and I didn't want to go to the store, I searched through the freezer where I keep cream and milk frozen in cup sized servings, saving it from going sour and great to use in soups, sauces or gravies...I had never tried to whip it, would that work, I wondered?..Many years ago I remember whipping canned milk into an "emergency" whipped cream by pouring it into a bowl then freezing it until the edges were frozen all around then whipping with a beater...It wasn't the best but it worked...So---I let the cup of cream soften, somewhat, before I started beating, It worked...I soon had nice fluffy whipped cream, perfect for our slightly warm rhubarb crisp...Hugs To All...OWAV:) 

3 comments:

  1. Idella, when are you and Bobi going to publish a book of your recipes? I'll be the first in line to buy one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Don't know if that is going to happen...:) Is this Brenda in Texas?

      Delete
    2. Yes it is, and yes, you should! :D

      Delete