Sunday, April 12, 2015

Sunny/cool...25º

A bit on the cool side but a nice sunny day looms ahead of us...Yesterday we had a nice morning with rain showers and sun breaks but then it turned cold and breezy late afternoon and a skiff of snow overnight.

I took advantage of the mild morning weather and got my hands in the dirt...When in LaGrande last week BiMart had onion starts called "Sugar."...I picked up two containers of 30 each...In our garden the garlic (planted last fall) is about 10 inches high and when we planted I left a vacant row on the south end thinking that would be a good place for onions, radishes, lettuce come spring...I used a 4 tine digger to loosen the soil then made a row using my fingers, (the soil felt damp, fine textured and anxious for new starts...After planting the onions, room was left for a small patch of lettuce...I scattered mixed seeds (several kinds of lettuce) over the roughed up soil, tamped them in, lightly and sprinkled straw over top...As I put my tools away a misty rain started to fall...Perfect I thought, just enough to dampen everything...I know it is early to plant anything in Joseph but I think it is worth a try...I have to buy some radish seeds and try them in this loose, fluffy soil...whenever I have planted radishes they are stunted and hot...Maybe I better pick up some spinach seeds as well.

We had chicken, baked potatoes and fresh salad greens (from our friend Erica) for dinner...I'm still fighting this crazy bug that I picked up in Utah/Arizona, maybe the sun will chase it away....Hugs To All...OWAV:)


No comments:

Post a Comment