Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Tomato Time...51º

I have 75 pounds of tomatoes ripening up, getting just right to roast, sort of...I find it very frustrating, not being able to buy vine ripened tomatoes or tree ripened peaches...It seems that all growers now pick produce less than ripe because it travels better...That makes for better looking fruit when the buyer views it for purchase, but it doesn't say much for the flavor!..Buying peaches last summer, the peddler (not the grower) assured me that the peaches he was trying to sell me would ripen up sweet and juicy...He lied...I bought 2 peaches, took them home, kept them at room temperature for a week, cut open 1 peach, not sweet, not juicy...1 week later I cut the 2nd peach, still not sweet, not juicy, just a bitter tasting peach...I can't help but gently touch the peaches at the produce truck and at Safeway, but always they are hard as rocks...They will never taste like a peach should!!!!!

Sorry didn't mean to get on a rant but I'm sure glad that I lived in the day when peaches from my Mothers trees were tree ripened, sweet and juicy...Juice running off my chin juicy!...At least I have the memories.

Back to the tomatoes, they are getting a little riper everyday and soon I will slice them in half, lay them on cookie sheets, sprinkle with chopped garlic, basil, salt and olive oil and roast them for 3 to 5 hours...Then I will toast a slice of sourdough bread, cover it with roasted tomatoes, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and yes with a little luck there will be enough juice to dribble off my chin...Hugs To All...OWAV:)




No comments:

Post a Comment