Thursday, June 16, 2011

OWAV:)...06/16/11...5am...40°...Foggy, Sunny

Yesterday Herb and I worked outside, he setting up our summer watering system, and I planting the rest of the garden...The temperature was over 50°, sun shinning and looked like a perfect day...A cold breeze blowing off the snow covered Wallowa Mountains insured that we kept our heavy shirts on and didn't stay too long in one place...Finally, shortly after noon we finished our work and came inside to the warmth of the electric heater...I fixed cream of tomato soup (using roasted tomatoes, from the freezer) and grilled cheese sandwiches for our dinner...Perfect cold weather food...

Our watering system consists of two small electric pumps that connect to a 2" water line that syphons out of the small irrigation ditch running in front of our house...With the pumps boosting the pressure we can run two sprinklers and have our flower gardens and lawn watered in no time...I use gravity feed most of the time on the vegetable garden, using a series of 10 foot pvc pipes that, many years ago Herb drilled small holes in and made a "drip" system...It works well, giving everything a good soaking...With all of the rain we've had, you might wonder why we are watering...it dries out fast with the cold breeze...

I'm working on a writing assignment for our Memoir teacher and have to have 15 pages to send her by June 30th and for the next 6 months...So I will fill in the blog maybe with excerpts from my writing project or just stories I've written in the past.. OWAV:)


Much-Loved Story
This story is about my son, Rusty, when he returned from a four-month stay in New Jersey where he had been working for a construction company.  On his return trip to Bend OR where his home is he often takes the southern route and stops to visit his aunt and uncle in Oklahoma.  He loves to stop there because he can talk “cars” with his Uncle Jim and his Aunt Bobbie is a wonderful cook and she always fixes some of his favorite meals. 

On this particular trip he decided to swing by Joseph and visit with us.  I also spoil him by fixing his favorite foods and I was making lemon meringue pie when he arrived at our house.  After he greeted me with a big hug, he said “Aunt Bobbie made lemon meringue pie while I was at their house”, and I said, “Well I’m sure you will eat it again won’t you?”  “Sure” he said, “you know I will”.  That night we ate our supper and for dessert I cut and served the pie.  As he was savoring the first bite I saw his eyes start to twinkle and because I know my son I knew what he was going to say.  He said, “Aunt Bobbie’s lemon pie is better than yours, Mom”.  I replied, “you don’t have to eat it you know and I probably won’t be making you another lemon pie.”  But my eyes were also twinkling and I knew that he was pulling my leg and he knew that I would always make lemon pie for him.  We will probably never know, nor care, who makes the best lemon pie, my sister or me.
    

2 comments:

  1. Lemon meringue was my dad's favorite pie too. I know I don't make a good one but would love to have some of each of my special aunts pies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know when you are coming and I'll see what I can do...I'm still trying to perfect the meringue...~ad

    ReplyDelete