Sunday, October 6, 2013

In The Chips...34º

Wood chips are delivered for $30.00 a load...That's a big load!..I ordered 5 loads to start with, (NO WILLOW) then when nothing arrived, changed that to three loads but still no willow...Two loads of mixed spruce and pine arrived and a third of poplar and maple...Herb loaded it into the wheel barrow and I unloaded it on the flowerbeds after cutting down the perennial's...All of my flowerbeds have become overgrown so I've killed some things out and others I am just covering with chips to retard growth but not entirely kill it...Also the chips keep the weeds down and the moisture in...We finished spreading about 2 1/2  loads of chips yesterday and hope to finish the other half today...Lucky us they delivered a 4th load so we have some in reserve...I will let you know next spring if we still have flowerbeds or "chip beds"...All beds will get a sprinkling of nitrogen fertilizer to help break down the chips.

In between chipping we are cleaning out the vegetable garden where everything has frozen back...I pulled beets (to pickle) and carrots (bad crop) just enough for dinner and Herb hauled away zucchini plants, tomato and cucumber vines...Will harvest the potatoes soon and plant garlic in that bed...Raspberries, asparagus and grapes will have to wait for their final trimming...Garden will then be replenished with manure, alfalfa pellets, peat moss, leaves and straw before winter sets in.

This morning has dawned another sunny day and its my turn for an airplane ride...Must get ready and yes I have my camera...Hugs to All...OWAV:)

No comments:

Post a Comment