Monday, October 7, 2013

Flying High...37º

An email from Brian delayed my morning plans of being in the garden early, continuing my clean up for winter...It was a beautiful sunny, cold morning and my turn had arrived for a flight over the Wallowa Valley...I have to be honest and say, flying makes me nervous...Before my 50th birthday I had been in the air just one time, flying to New York to spend Christmas with Herb's extended family in 1966...Later in my life, the first few times in a jet flying to Hawaii and Cancun, I was a basket case...Just being in the airport made me hyperventilate and going through customs, catching connecting flights and airport security turned my hair white!..Guess it was time but flying played a part...I always had the feeling that I wouldn't return home.

Over the years it has become easier for me to fly the big jets, with trips to Australia, Hawaii and Cancun...I rationalized that flying was safer than driving but when it came to small planes my mind would go to the isolated incidents of a short hop to Lewiston or Walla Walla, plane disappears and no survivors...Until this summer I had only flown in a small plane one time, when Pam and I hiked into Red's Horse Ranch spending the night and our plan was to hike out the next day...A sudden bout of "flu" cut that trip short and we hitched a plane ride out of Red's...I don't remember much about the flight except hanging on tight the entire way...I just knew Pam was very sick and we needed to get home where she was close to medical facilities.

Back to the present and yesterdays flight.

OMG am I ready for this?


Brian is all business as he readies for takeoff.

Now here I am approaching my 71st birthday, throwing my fears to the wind, knowing that some things are now or never...Yesterday I took my camera and positive attitude as I drove to the Joseph Airport knowing that I would return and be here this morning typing away and posting photos of our flight...Both of us buckled in tight, Brian went over his check list as I calmed my breathing and he explained about airplane safety...Before I knew it we were in the air.

Up Up and Away

Flying High

Brian kept the plane steady and smooth...No sudden turns or loop de loops and only a few bumps as we cruised at 110 miles per hour (it felt like we were standing still) we flew to Wallowa, Minam, looked at the Grand Ronde Valley in the distance, back over the mountains, skirting Lostine Canyon, up close to Chief Joseph Mountain, over Wallowa Lake, Ferguson Ridge to Salt Creek Summit before we turned and soon were landing back at the Joseph Airport...I was too busy taking photos to hang on and couldn't believe that we had been in the air for over an hour...My thanks to Brian for a great flight as I anticipate maybe another one next summer...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

PS..More photos tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment