Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Let down/pick up day...30º

I always have mixed feelings when company leaves....Friends or Family, I'm sad to see them go but glad at the same time...I love the change and then getting back into our comfortable routine...It helped that the sun was shining...Herb worked in the yard moving more chips around and gradually puts things away for winter...In the house I straightened up, then left to have lunch and visit with a friend...We had catching up to do.

Early evening Herb was scanning the field for deer and moments later I was brought out of my reverie with the sound of a gun shot...For the next two hours we worked ( I helped by holding legs out of the way, fetching rags, water etc) at gutting, hanging and skinning the deer...At one point Herb said, "I might have to give this up some day." As he struggled to get off his knees to a standing position...Age is beginning to tell on us but maybe with both of us working at it we can continue for a few more years...A nice 3 point buck, coated with fat after living in the alfalfa and grain fields all summer was hanging in the garage when we finished...The cool weather is perfect for aging and he should be excellent eating!

The sun is out again this morning, I have baking to do and pinochle to play this afternoon...Life on Barton Heights moves on...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

No comments:

Post a Comment