Friday, October 4, 2013

Sunny/Warmer....33º

Herb was outside early yesterday morning, moving the last of the wood chips into the bin for winter storage...Also rolling up hoses, draining pumps and putting things away for the coming winter...It was cold but not bad if one was bundled up and kept moving.

I stayed inside, as the 2 gallon jars full of cucumbers were calling me...About 6 weeks ago as I sorted small cucumbers for dills, I put larger cukes into a brine of vinegar, water, alum and salt...Put them aside to cure in this solution...Today It was time to slice the cukes, add sugar to the brine, heat everything and seal them in pint jars...When finished I had 15 pints of sweet pickles to add to the cellar shelves for winter...An easy way to make sweet pickles.

1 of 15 "Sliced Sweet Pickles"

Both of us were ready for a dinner of fresh deer liver and onions, served along with sliced cucumbers and pickled beets from last year...Which reminds me I have beets in the garden waiting to be made into more pickles...Also daffodil bulbs to be planted, more chips to throw on the flowerbeds and the sourdough is rising in the kitchen to make a batch of bread...Looks like I better get moving...Hugs To All...OWAV:)



No comments:

Post a Comment