Monday, August 24, 2020

Busy Bees...50º

 Our neighbor is new to keeping bees and has only 3 hives, he keeps them here on Barton Heights in the summer and moves them to Imnaha (lower elevation) for the winter...I assume some of what we see are from his hives...Early spring I hear them in the apple trees, then raspberries, lilacs, lavender, poppies, sea holly, asparagus and now on the globe thistle...I worked close to them all summer, they doing there gathering of pollen, as I quietly do my garden chores...Sometimes there are so many that it sounds like a quiet motor humming away...Yesterday as I checked the cucumber plants, hoping to find one big enough to eat, I was surprised with a sting on my middle finger and my automatic reflex brushed the honey bee to the ground..."Darn," said I, and moved away...The cucumber is still quite small, just big enough for a pickle, but what does one do with only one pickling cuke?...Leave it be.

I FaceTimed with Bobi yesterday, and our visit centered around making pickles...Bobi and Cienna (granddaughter, age 22) are keeping up the family tradition of pickle making...Especially dill pickles...(Bobi made pickles with her Grandma Blanche, when she was a teenager, riding the train from LaGrande OR to Bountiful, UT to help in this endeavor)...Bobi and Ci make 8 quarts of dills on Saturday, after driving to Sauvie Island for Gherkins...Cienna wanted to taste them right away and was quite disappointed to learn that she must wait until Thanksgiving for the first bite...That's what Grandma Blanche would have said...So until then, they can only count the days and admire the jars on the cellar shelves...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

The honey bees didn't want 
their picture taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment