Sunday, April 3, 2011

OWAV:)..04/03/11..4am..25°..Dark

Everything the weather report said, came true yesterday.  We had wind, rain, sleet, snow, and a brief glimpse of sunshine.  Typical April weather here in Wallowa County, except for in Imnaha, which is thirty miles from Joseph and near sea level.  Warm breezes, lush green grass and the smell of flowering fruit trees everywhere, a little paradise, unless you factor in the rattlesnakes and the fact that I am dreaming.

Imnaha, located north of Joseph, in a canyon surrounded by rimrocks.  It has its own grade school, postoffice and tavern.  It's temperatures soar in the summer making a perfect place to grow almost any kind of fruits and vegetables that you desire.  From Imnaha you can travel on rough, scary, scenic roads, to Dug Bar, located on the Snake River, or Hat Point, an overlook of the Snake River. The other route is the river road, with leads back to a paved road taking you to the Snake River Canyon, where you can drive by Oxbow Dam, take a side trip to Hells Canyon Dam, then drive by Brownlee Dam and on into Idaho.

Today I will ride with a friend to Imnaha, take the river road and spend the week at a writers retreat.  "They" say every person has a story to tell.  I hope to hone my writing skills and edit some of the stories I have written and eventually put them into some kind of a book for my family.  If nothing else it should be a relaxing and restful week.

I spent most of yesterday, writing lists, packing food and clothing for the next week.  I have made a pot of soup for our first night.  Other people will be bringing food to share and it may be a week of potlucks.  This is the last you will hear of me for a week, but I will keep a daily log of the happenings and report to you when I return home.  I'll be thinking of all of you while I'm smelling the flowers, soaking up the sun and dodging the rattlesnakes.  Hope you miss me, love to all...OWAV:)

1 comment: