Sunday, April 10, 2011

OWAV:)...04/10/11...6am...34°...Cloudy

After a wonderful sleep in my own bed, I'm rested and will get moving soon?  The lingering smell of skunk is gone, the familiar smells of my own house have taken its place.  My head is clear.  Herb has my coffee fixed and waiting for me.

Kathy and I quietly went about our clean-up duties, before we loaded our belongings into the garden cart for the last trip across the Imnaha River and our departure for "out on top".

Retreat foot bridge. Photo by Katey Shultz


As we worked at these tasks we also, packed our suitcases, tidied bedrooms, bathroom and refilled our coolers with food, that hadn't been used.  The dryer buzzer signaled that the laundry was done.  Sheets, pillowcases, and towels were folded and put away for the next group of writers, who will descend on this canyon, Sunday afternoon.  Our time is winding down.

Kathy again pushes the cart across the foot bridge while I finish up at the house.  We get everything across in two loads.  I'm not looking forward to the bridge.  Much to my surprise, the bridge is much easier for me and I move along quickly and am able to help Kathy put the last load into her car.

We visit, spot elk on the hillside, stop at the Imnaha Store and Tavern where Kathy treats us to an ice cream.  Then wind our way to the top.  As the Wallowa Mountains come into view, I get the same feeling I did some thirty eight years ago, on my first trip coming into this valley.  That feeling is one of coming home and home it is.  OWAV:)

1 comment:

  1. The Mighty Max Cart weighs only 20 lbs, but will tote up to 300 lbs! And best of all, it’s virtually indestructible. Better still, for Mothers Day 2011, I offer it at almost half the MSRP. It’s the perfect gift for Mom…especially an elderly mother. http://MightMaxCart.com/EddieSmith

    ReplyDelete