Saturday, April 2, 2011

OWAV:) 04/02/11..5am..44°..Windy/Rainy

April came in like a lamb but on its second day has turned into a lion.  Have rain and wind this morning and snow is forecast for later today.

On Thursday I spent most of my time editing some of my stories in preparation for a writers retreat in Imnaha.  I have many that are half written, waiting for me to finish.  I hope this week will inspire me to get with it.

Yesterday, Herb and I left at 6:30am for LaGrande.  Herb had an eye appointment and both of us would get an adjustment from Dr Bond, our chiropractor.  The seventy miles to LaGrande is a beautiful drive, so I alway look forward to the trip.  Dawn is just breaking as we leave and as always we are on the lookout for deer.  We see many white tail deer grazing on the new grass, as we take Hurricane road, bypass Enterprise, and pick up highway 82, headed toward Lostine.  Cattle, with their calves, are still bedded down in the fields waiting for their breakfast. It looks much more like spring, the farther we go.  In Minam Canyon, the Wallowa River is running high and muddy.  Looks like the steelhead fisherman will have to wait for better weather to resume their fishing.  Fields of winter wheat, grass seed and mint are all greening up and growing as we enter the Grande Ronde Valley.

We arrive at Dr Pettit's office at 8am, always try for an early appointment, because you are more apt to get in and out quickly.  Otherwise you may end up spending half of the day there!  Today it goes quickly, Herbs eye pressure check is good, and we are soon shopping at BiMart, then on to Dr Bonds.

For many years I have been coming to Dr Bonds office, first bringing my mom here, for her adjustments, some fifteen years ago.  He took such good care of my mom, that now Herb and I try to come out on a monthly basis, and sometimes it is more of a visit than doctor time.  Dr Bond and his wife "Sam" are kind and caring people and we always enjoy our visits with them.  We discuss, trips, kids, gardening, cooking and quilt making among many other things.  We leave his office an hour and a half later, as "well adjusted people" and refreshed from a good visit.

Next stop is the health food store to buy fresh peppercorns and other spices I might find.  Then on to the used bookstore, where I could spend the rest of the day, but since Herb is waiting in the car, I limit myself to a half hour. He reads ten times more books than I do, but he doesn't enjoy browsing in a bookstore like I do.  It is just get books and go, with him.  I will plan another day, alone to LaGrande, when I can browse to my hearts content.  I buy two books, non fiction, to take to Imnaha.  One last stop at Grocery Outlet, our favorite store in LG.  We have decided on Mexican food for lunch/dinner.  We order a dinner to share, along with a beer for Herb and a margarita for me.  Oh my gosh!  The margarita is strong and sweet with grand marnier, way too sweet.  I drink most of it, along with chips and salsa and dinner.  Won't order that again!

We do make one more stop at D&B farm supply, look for awhile and buy two pairs of gardening gloves, seed potatoes, beets and pole bean seeds. As we leave Lagrande, temperature is in the high sixties and the Grande Rhonde River is really high as we pass through Elgin.

Home again, we unload the car, soon Rusty comes home, and Susan and Josh stop by for a visit.  We spend the evening reading, playing angry birds and scrabble.  Bedtime is early.  OWAV:)

No comments:

Post a Comment