Tuesday, May 17, 2011

OWAV:)...05/17/11...5am...31°...Sunshine

The full moon waded through clouds as I drove home after memoir class last night...three other ladies rode in the car with me...we marveled at the mountains illuminated in the moonlight...how beautiful this valley is wearing its night time face, covered with newly fallen snow...even though it is May.

Yesterday started early...I quickly caught up my scrabble games...passed on writing my blog...and got right down to the business of making pies...for the last few years I have hosted the May book club meeting here on Barton Heights...It gives me a way to show off the spring garden, filled with daffodils...also to practice my pie baking skills...the rhubarb I pulled last night is succulent and crisp...perfect for rhubarb custard pies...By 9am two pies are cooling on the marble slab, cream has been whipped into soft peaks, now ready to serve...soon the house is filled with the chatter of ten women gathered for our monthly meeting...they help themselves to pie, coffee or tea, talking continually...we have a lively discussion about the book "Committed"... two hours later, I sit on the couch...feeling like a tornado or at least a whirlwind has passed through my house...Some of these ladies are high energy and I am tired just from listening to them...

I settle down to finish my homework for memoir class...It starts with the prompt, I wonder what happened to so and so?...I'm writing about my school days at "Wood Grove" school in Lake Fork, Idaho and a friendship with a girl when we were in third grade...I lost track of her many years ago...I spend the rest of the day writing, rewriting and getting very frustrated...this story is not coming easy...

6pm...homework finished...printer is clacking away, spitting out six pages...pages to be turned in to Katey...I'm back in school again...waiting for a "grade"...pass or fail... excellent or fair...I'll find out next week...Katey's main topic tonight is "To Be Verbs" (all forms of was, were, is, are, be) she is adamant that they be used sparingly!  Also "Killer Filler" such as had, (I'd, we'd), that, mean (I mean), and just..my pages are filled with these very words...My work has just begun...

Garden club this afternoon...maybe the weather will be nice enough we can spend time outside...Herb will mix the sprayer full of roundup this morning, flowerbeds here and downtown all need weeds and grass killed so they are easier to manage...don't use near as much as I use to...

News on the pie sale this coming weekend...not supposed to sell custard pies...government regulations are going to kill the small, bake food sales, that this community relies on as a money maker...I hate them having their fingers in my PIES!!!...OWAV:)

No comments:

Post a Comment