Friday, September 27, 2013

Cold/Rainy Days...36º

For several days now our mountains have been covered with clouds...We have rain in the valley and snow up high...When the weather is like this my mind and heart turns to baking...When Herb replenished our bread supply from the freezer he said, "There is only one loaf left." Which translates into it is time to take the sourdough start from the fridge and start feeding it, which I did...But it takes about 3 days to get it going good and I wanted to bake now....Michael Pollen has a new book out "Cooked" where he gives quite a dissertation on "sourdough" and bread making...So I started a google search, no luck on finding his recipe so I will have to checkout his book from the library again to read and refresh my mind on his ideas and recipe...while doing the search I came up with the recipe for *"No Need to Knead Bread" and thought I have a copy of that in my recipe file.




This recipe and directions are a full page, daunting to newbies I think...Actually it is very simple and the only drawback that I can see is you have to think ahead about 24 hours...I've made three batches in the past week, each batch is a 1 1/2 to 2 lb. loaf of crusty outside, moist inside bread...I've experimented by adding some of my sourdough starter which we really liked, but mostly I'm trying to get a loaf that is not only crusty and moist but also has the holes like "California Sourdough Bread"...Yesterdays loaf came close to perfect but I hadn't used any sourdough starter in it and we missed that flavor...So the sun is supposed to shine today but tomorrow is looking like rain...Guess I better start another loaf tonight...Hugs to All...OWAV:)

*Note--This link for the bread has a baking temp of 500º...That is too high in my oven, 450º is better...Somebody give this recipe a try and report back to me...I would love to hear your stories!

No comments:

Post a Comment