Saturday, September 14, 2013

Cutting Down...56º

Seems like just yesterday (April) when I was outside wandering and wondering if any of my plants were going to break through the frozen ground...Yesterday (September) I spent hours cutting down perennials that have bloomed and gone to seed...I'm carefully placing all the spent plants on the ground in and around the base of the plants for mulch..."Tree Care North" delivered another truck load of wood chips so today I have that to put over top adding another layer of mulch for the winter...I will leave Asters, Blackeyed Susans, Joe Pye Weed and Echinacea to continue blooming for fall color...While cutting down I will dig up starts and move them to a bare spot and also plant more daffodil bulbs as I think ahead to next spring.

Herb saw a red fox running through the wheat field behind our house yesterday...Last year at this time we were plagued with a family of bears here on Barton Heights rummaging through garbage cans and climbing apple trees looking for food...So far no bears this year and just might be because all of the apple trees got a late frost...So goes life in our little corner of the world...Hugs To All...OWAV:)


No comments:

Post a Comment