Monday, September 23, 2013

Dinner Rolls 101...43º

Becky called to say they were BBQing salmon for a potluck celebration on Sunday afternoon, "Could we come?"...Going to their house is always an excuse for me to practice making dinner rolls...My Mom was the "Queen" of dinner rolls and my "Kids" always taste mine and say, " Mom these are wonderful but not quite as good as Grammas, so you have to keep practicing." In some things I strive to be a perfectionist and making the perfect dinner roll is one of them...Perfect for me is not in exact measurements but in the feel of the dough, so I prefer to make these by hand instead of with the Bosch mixer...Flour, sugar, salt, eggs, butter, yeast and water are the only ingredients, stirred, mixed and lightly kneaded into a soft ball, still slightly sticky...It rises into a soft puffy cloud and looks ready to launch at any time...I gently empty it onto the floured marble where I stretch and then roll it into a large rectangle...Soft butter is then spread over the surface and with a pizza cutter it is cut into small rectangles which are folded in half and placed in the pan to raise again before baking...All of this is done with a light and gentle touch as I think maybe this will be the perfect batch.

Dinner Rolls

We had a lovely evening, rain held off, a fire roared in the fire pit, salmon was wonderful as well as the potluck salads, cheesy bacon potatoes and sorbet for dessert and yes they said the rolls were wonderful but I still need more practice!..Hugs To All...OWAV:)

1 comment:

  1. They look a little flat! Just kidding. I'm jealous. Wish I could have been there for the rolls!

    ReplyDelete