Monday, November 18, 2013

Book Group...27º

After a 6 month hiatus our book group is starting back up today...The third monday of every month for the past 10 or 12 years I've committed to this group, reading what ever book was chosen for a particular month...My reading habits have changed some but I still don't care for espionage, gory stuff, edge of the seat thrillers, science fiction or totally dysfunctional family memoirs...Our house is littered with books that I have picked up at yard sales and soroptomists...Some are in sacks to be given away, some set aside to read eventually and some are actually on book cases, already read but I can't bear to part with them...I also have a collection of cookbooks and gardening books (recently thinned out)...Now I get books from the "Sage System"...A lending library where I can order the book online and it is delivered to our local Joseph Library for me/Herb to pick up...The selection is incredible and I can get new books almost as soon as they come out in Costco, at no cost to me...Only problem is no matter how good the reviews are I find very few books that grab me or hold my attention from beginning to end...Most likely I read the first few pages, then the end to see if the book is worth spending my time reading it. :)

I spent most of yesterday writing (editing my essay) and reading..."Mrs. Kennedy and Me" by Clint Hill, kept my attention and yes I read the ending first, but then we all know that it ended with the assassination of President Kennedy 50 years ago this month...Clint Hill was Mrs. Kennedy's personal body guard, assigned to her by the Secret Service...He was not happy about that as previously he had been a body guard for President Eisenhower and felt this as somewhat of a demotion...Although not particularly well written, he tells a heartwarming story of getting to know Mrs. Kennedy and the trust that developed between them...Plus the difficult, demanding job of making the world safe for any president and his family...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

PS...I must share this photo of the Barton Heights Sunrise on November 12, 2013...Other photos from around Wallowa County are beginning to show up as other people post what they saw on that day.

From This

To This




2 comments:

  1. Think it is the most incredible sunrise I've ever seen and to think I captured it on "film"..Hugs to you this morning. Della

    ReplyDelete