Friday, November 22, 2013

Count-Down...14º

The calendar is moving right along, Thanksgiving a week away...Also in only a month my favorite day of the year arrives and the days start getting longer, meaning a little more sunlight in our everyday world...Temperatures are dropping and the cold crisp days, with a brilliant blue sky of winter are here.

Herb and I ventured out yesterday with our eyeglass prescriptions to the local shop in Enterprise...Usually we buy our glasses in laGrande but have decided to try the local shop as we have heard good things about them...They actually still had us in there system from many years ago...Herb had no problem choosing his frames as I tried on, discarded and the helpful girls kept bringing more choices for me...If only I could see what I look like in the glasses it would help but since the frames for sale just have plain glass in them, a blurry vision is what I see...Herb is no help, so he went to do some grocery shopping and the girls kept saying no- those aren't for you until finally we narrowed it down to two pairs, but one had black frames and I needed a lighter color, which could be ordered...So I don't have to make a decision for another week...Gives me time to think! :)

Holiday time for me means making "TV Mix"...I think this recipe came out in the 70's (just googled it and they say the 50's) Whatever...As with all recipes to my way of thinking they have to be tweaked to our likes and I have to make a huge batch.

Original recipe
1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (way too much)
1-1/4 teaspoons seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
3 cups Wheat Chex square cereal
2 cups Rice Chex square cereal
1-1/2 cups peanuts
1-1/2 cups small pretzel rods

My Recipe (All measurement approximately)
1 1/2 cups butter
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1Tablespoon lawrys season salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 pound Rice Chex (yes a full box)
1 pound Corn Chex
1/2 pound Wheat Chex
1 pound mixed nuts
1/2 to 1 pound peanuts
1 pound small pretzels

Either of these recipes are then roasted in the oven at about 300º for one hour...I bag them in quart or gallon zip locks  depending on the recipient and store them in the cellar until  Christmas...Hugs To All...OWAV:)


1 comment:

  1. Yummy. Can't wait for my Xmas present and since we'll be there next week I won't have to!!!!!

    ReplyDelete