Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Wintery Mix...14º

The next few days we have a forecast for a "Wintery Mix..."Rain, snow, with temps in the high 20's and the mid 30's...Sounds like freezing rain to me!..With morning temp of 14º our house doesn't have that feel of "bone chilling cold" that -1º imparts...Herb is still learning the tricks of out new wood stove and manages to keep our house toasty warm by reloading the stove around 1am each night...Today he will haul in larch and red fir to add to our pine in hopes that the fire will hold through the night.

I'm looking for a break in this weather as I did a rather silly thing when I was shopping in BiMart last Thursday...BiMart knows my weakness and placed shopping carts full of fall bulbs (tulips, daffodils and crocus) just inside their entrance, all priced at $1.00 per bag (an incredible bargain...)So even though a major storm was predicted for our area, my brain always looking on the positive side, said, "Yes but it will warm up again next week and I can at least plant the crocus deep enough that they won't freeze and the daffies and tulips can be planted in pots and kept inside to bloom in March...."And bargain hunter that I am I put 4 bags in my cart...The bulbs are still in the BiMart paper bag resting in our utility room while I try to figure out a way to not have to admit that buying these bulbs was not only silly but down right dumb...!$@#%&*#@!

With time to ponder this dilemma, I have realized that by the time I chill the tulips and daffies for several weeks and then allow time to bloom, we will be basking in the sun in Arizona...The forecast doesn't look like we are going to have a chinook anytime soon, so a hole can't be dug to bury the crocus bulbs...Hmmm, what to do?...I have a friend in Imnaha, maybe she can plant the tulips and daffies and we have lots of straw bales, maybe I (with Herbs help, by the way he didn't know anything about the bulbs until NOW as he reads this) can make a straw bed over the crocus bulbs...The worst that can happen is they will all freeze or can't be planted and I will be out $4.00...I'm sure I've spent $4.00 on more frivolous things in my day, so I will just admit it was a dumb thing to do but probably not the dumbest and after all my brain is getting old...Old age has to be a good excuse....Hugs To All...OWAV:)




No comments:

Post a Comment