Sunday, June 3, 2018

Abundance of Blooms...48º

Over the years, new blooms have appeared in our flower gardens...Some I have bought, friends have shared their extras, others have just appeared, gifts from the sky...I remember one in particular that I bought many years ago...Mom saw an ad in the local paper about a nursery, north of Baker City, probably a two hour drive for us, but we were always up for an adventure...The nursery was well stocked, every plant imaginable...My garden was in its infancy and I was looking for unusual flowers, one in particular caught my eye...It was in a gallon container and I paid $8.00 for this one plant!..I have found out over the years that plants are given catchy names (nothing like the original/real name) to  "sucker" unknowing buyers to take them home...Many years later, I know this to be Centaurea, common names such as, corn flower, perennial bachelor button, and it can be very invasive, propagating by seed as well as by the roots (spreading).

Centaurea


See how they spread.

I've kept this flower in the garden but delegated it to the bed across the road from our house...This is where I put all flowers that are "aggressive and invasive."...Another one is dame's rocket (many people confuse it for a phlox)...This one also is a spreader but when blooming it is lovely...Below are photos of them happily blooming across the road from our house...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

Dames Rocket

In all its glory

Below are plants that are invasive, not much bloom, but lovely foliage and the lemon balm is very fragrant, when you crush the leaves...Can also make tea from the leaves...If you enlarge, "click on" these photos, you get a much better idea of how beautiful they are..

Lemon Balm, nondescript bloom 

Ladies Mantle, nondescript bloom

No comments:

Post a Comment