Friday, June 8, 2018

Memories...Sunny/44º

Our front porch changes for the summer, indoor plants are moved out there, red geraniums are in their pots and special chairs are in place for sitting...The morning sun peaks through the trees, with an eerie glow.

The porch holds memories for me...The captains chair came from an old hotel in Wyoming and it was my Dad's chair for every meal at our kitchen table in Lake Fork, Idaho...The 5 gallon crock, a vessel for fermented dill pickles, made by my Mother...The milk cans bring back memories of early mornings, in the barn, steam rising off the Jersey, Holstein, Guernsey cows as they ate their morning ration of oats...I settled myself on the 3-legged stool, head in the cows flank, bucket between my legs and milked until the bucket was full, 2 inches of foam on the top, I was 10 years old...The asparagus fern, cascading out of its pot as it did in Lake Fork, only then it was in a hanging pot over top of the new 15 inch, black and white, console television, that graced our living room, the year was 1953.


Jumping ahead many years, fall of 1995...Herb and I both retired, we drove cross country to New York State, where Herb was born and lived until he was 20...We spent 7 days visiting friends and relatives, Herb gave me a tour of farming country, lakes and the vibrant colors of fall in the East...I mention this because the Adirondack Chair was purchased at an Amish store, in Pennsylvania, somehow it fit in our van and now has a spot on our front porch...So many good memories..Hugs To All...OWAV:)

No comments:

Post a Comment