Monday, March 28, 2011

OWAV:) 02/28/11, 5am, 30°, Skiff of snow

The dusting of snow that fell overnight sparkles like diamonds when I turn on the light and peer through the glass doors, looking at the deck.  It is cold and dark, with stars shinning above.  Yesterday was sunny, but a cold breeze kept the temperature around 40° most of the day.

Yesterday:  Herb was in much need of a haircut, so before showers, I cut his hair.  His hair cut is easy, using electric clippers, I just buzz, buzz, buzz and it is done for another four to six weeks.  Then I decided my own hair needed a trim.  This is getting more difficult every year as my arms don't like reaching over my head for any length of time.  With the help of a mirror on the back wall, I can still get the back sort of straight.  The worst part is that with my glasses off, I don't see very well, and with them on I can't get the bifocal part to focus at the right level.  You might ask, why don't I just go to the beauty shop and have this done?  I have tried that off and on for many years but always come out of the beauty shop unhappy with the haircut and end up in my own bathroom, scissors and razor in hand going through the contortions of redoing the haircut to my liking.  Seems to me I just wasted $30.00.  So until my arms will no longer go over my head I will keep cutting my own hair!!  Maybe I can turn my glasses upside down and get the bifocals focused or stand on my head?  Forget I said that.

After our breakfast of french toast, Herb and Rusty went squirrel hunting.  This time of year, if the sun is shinning, the squirrels are thick on the hillside pastures.  They eat every blade of grass as it pokes its head through the frozen ground, and dig holes and make mounds of dirt everywhere.  The farmers are glad to have people out hunting them.  They appreciate the hunters, but also want you to ask permission before hunting so they know who is on their land.  Most times their irrigation lines are in the fields and some people become impatient waiting for squirrels, so make a game of shooting the pipes full of holes.  This is not a good thing when the farmer gets ready to irrigate his fields.  Just another example of the disregard for other peoples property.  I remember as a child, when my brother hunted squirrels, he would bring home the tail from each one, unless the squirrel got back into its hole before it died.  The tails were worth a penny a piece and kids scrounged for every penny they could get.  I also remember a bounty on magpies, seems like a pair of magpie feet was worth a penny.

This brings another subject to mind and that subject is guns and knives.  Kids were taught at an early age the proper use of a knife and a gun.  Our kids were given cap guns, with holsters, for birthdays, what fun they had playing innumerable games of "Cowboys and Indians".  It was not unusual for a child at the age of ten to carry a pocket knife (in the pocket of their jeans) or to get their first gun at the age of twelve.  Pocket knives were carried to school and used for whittling, toad stabbing, (I guess) whatever was needed.  When a boy got his first pickup, his gun was placed in the gun rack and went everywhere with him.  He parked his pickup in the school parking lot, locked the pickup, most of the time, and then was able to go hunting as soon as school was over for the day.  How our world has changed.

I have been avoiding the subject of how I spent the rest of my day.  I did make noodles, while the guys were squirrel hunting, and we had brisket, noodles and brussels sprouts for dinner.  BUT most of the day I played ANGRY BIRDS on the computer.  I must get a life!  OWAV:)

No comments:

Post a Comment