Sunday, March 27, 2011

OWAV:) 03/27/11, 4am, 25° Skiff of snow, Stars out

Up early, no new scrabble games, guess I was doing them last night as fast as Bobi finished them.  Oh well, I have no excuse but to get right to my blog.  I was also playing "Angry Birds", what an addictive game.  Must discipline myself to do more productive things.

Yesterday:  Herb and Rusty loaded the trailer with the old tin and other stuff from the back pasture and are now on their way to the Ant Flat Dump in Enterprise.  It will be so nice to get it cleaned up out there. While they are gone I clean leftovers from the fridge.  I will do a deeper cleaning later, I have no idea what might be in the very back.  I will use most of the leftover lamb in hot sandwiches for our lunch, as Rusty needs something hot before he goes snowmobiling.  The smoked brisket is put in the dutch oven with onions, garlic and broth to simmer for several hours.  It is now tender, sliced thin and in broth.  It will be made into soups or maybe added to homemade noodles for another meal.

I started a batch of bread before noon, making four loaves, for us, plus a pan of rolls to take to Becky and Johns for a BBQ tonight.  Something else I must work on.  The rolls tasted good, but came out like hockey pucks and the loaves of bread are very small and heavy.  The bread seemed full of life when it was in the sponge, rising and pushing the lid off of the bread bowl.  After I shaped the dough it just sat in the pans and refused to rise, even after I put it into a warm oven.  I have always loved making bread, because for me it has been very forgiving no matter what I put in it or how I treated it.  Now since I don't make it as often it seems to have a mind of its own.  Maybe that means I should practice more?

As alway we had a great time at Becky and Johns, enjoying the company of John's sister Susan and her kids, Josh and Megan.  They are visiting for their spring break, from Riggins, Idaho.  Nick, Rachel, Dylan and Pam are also there.   Even on this cold evening in March we end up outside around the campfire, the kids and dogs entertain us while the guys do the BBQing and Nick piles wood on the fire.  Inside we gather around the tables and enjoy another wonderful meal.  BBQed chicken legs and pork tenderloin served along with roasted potatoes, green salad and "hockey pucks".

Becky will leave for Salem on Sunday morning, caravaning with Pam, who will be attending a workshop in Salem on Monday and Tuesday.  Becky has one term left of her first year of law school.  One year down and two to go!!

It is still early and dark, Herb and Rusty are still asleep.  Maybe I will start a book or do a crossword puzzle before I start moving for the day.  Love to all--OWAV:)

1 comment: