Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Best laid plans...08/09/11...5am...54°...Sunny

As I finished my blog yesterday and was ready to start a day of shopping and cleaning to get ready for the "We 3" write group, I heard Herb say from the kitchen, "Della, the refrigerator doesn't seem to be working."...Oh great, I thought to myself...I vaguely remembered taking lettuce from the fridge on Sunday, and thought it wasn't very cold, but then I had just brought it in from the garden, washed it, put it the salad spinner and then bagged it, so it hadn't had much time to chill...Didn't give it another thought...So in checking the fridge,.. It was not running or making any kind of a sound...main compartment was luke warm, the freezer stuff was starting to get soft but still cold and frozen in the center...So after checking the instruction manual, fridge is less than ten years old...We think of all the things, did it trip the breaker, no, the light is still working...Herb gets his tool kit and fixes the fridge so it will roll out of its spot in the corner,..I think maybe if we vacuum front and back it will run...No such luck...I call a repairman, the only one in Wallowa County, and he can be here between 4 and 5pm today...That is good, since if I called the Sears toll free number I would probably be on hold for that length of time, just waiting for someone to turn off the damn music and come to my assistance!..

Now the fun begins, fridge is slowly emptied, I examine things carefully in the freezer, guessing at what some of it is and find myself thinking, "I might use this" but then throw it away since it has been in there since 2002 when the fridge was new!..Herb carries everything downstairs to store in his fridge and freezer until this one is fixed...I proceed to clean the fridge inside and out, removing all of the shelves, washing them and putting them outside to dry in the sun...Herb says, "Wow the fridge is all sparkling and clean, just like new, but what if it doesn't work?"...GRRRrrrrrrrrrr!

I call Pat, relate my story and suggest we meet for lunch in downtown Joseph, and then come here, sit on our deck and discuss our stories...Thought runs through my mind, that she is thinking, this woman will do anything to keep from cleaning house!..(Just kidding Pat, remember I have to make this interesting, with a little humor.)...She graciously offers her house until I remind her that she is flying to Maryland in just a few days and has way too much to do...So it is set we will lunch at "Embers" then to Barton Heights to share a glass of wine and discuss.

Herb and I decide to go to town for a burger, finally choose the "R and R" and order two of their R&R specials; burger, milk shake, large fries...Hold one of the fries as we will share one...good thing as they were really bad fries (does anyone make real french fries any more?) and dry burger not much better, milk shake good... just reaffirms why we don't eat out very often!..Herb had suggested we have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, maybe next time.

Repairman Dan arrives early, diagnoses right off that we have a "stuck defrost timer" but takes him an hour to find it, of course it is in the last place he looks...I never knew that there were so many hidden places inside a fridge that can be opened up!..Now it is all back together and slowly we will start filling it back up, throwing away more stuff and vowing to date and use up in a timely manner all the things I put in there...I was pleasantly surprised at the bill...New timer, generic, $12.00, 1 hour labor $50.00, milage $14.00, Total $76.00.

Now if I've bored you long enough I will quit for the day but I have one question...Why do they spell fridge with a "d" in it and refrigerator without the "d"?...~OWAV:)))

No comments:

Post a Comment