Tuesday, August 2, 2011

More Thunder...08/02/11...6am...55...Sunny

Herb and I sat on the deck last night eating watermelon and watching the storm as it rumbled, crashed and shot fingers of lightening, first on Ruby Peak then all along the mountain range to Chief Joseph Mountain...At the last minute before the wind started, we quickly put our chairs away, secured things on the deck and "scurried" into the house...For the next half hour the wind whipped trees, mashed flowers and the rain pelted down.

Herb says the potato vines are mashed flat and some flowers also, but the sun is out and it looks like another beautiful day in Wallowa County...I have an early dental appointment in Enterprise this morning so will hurry with the blog and get on my way...Write group has been canceled, so will go to Safeway and Soroptomists while I'm in town.


"Scary"
Herb
Yesterday morning I spent time in the garden doing the usual, while Herb mowed the back pasture...I was wearing my "bucket hat" (recently bought at a yard sale, for $1.00), Herb said I really looked "fetching" and should get a photo...So I took photo's of Herb, me and my hat and what I call the "tools of my trade" or my favorite tools in the garden...The tools consist of a small, long handled spade that I've had for twenty years...Herb has welded it and keeps it sharpened, I will cry if it breaks...then comes my hand pruners, made by Sandvik, now manufactured by Bahco and I've used them also for nearly twenty years (purchased at a garden show in Portland, when I first started gardening)...They are small and fit my hand...I will order replacement blades for them this fall...Recent purchases are gardening gloves, (also in a small size) that are made of bamboo with a nytril coating...best gloves I've ever had...and my newest tool I call my "toad stabber", its a digger, with a serrated blade and chopper all in one tool, a good investment...My advice to a new gardener or an old one for that matter is to invest in good tools, especially pruners, take care of them and they will last and be much easier on your hands than the cheapies!..OWAV:)

Gardening Tools


3 comments:

  1. Definitely "fetching"...he sure uses big words...Kim wondered if he was getting frisky? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell Kim that the hat would definitely squelch that idea, if he was...:)AD

    ReplyDelete
  3. a bucket had for a bucket head? tee hee, bob

    ReplyDelete