Thursday, August 21, 2014

Clockwork...47º

In the early morning hours yesterday I perused Facebook looking for any tidbits of news about Cienna in Thailand, then moved onto the scrabble games, waiting for me and finally wrote my blog...Got an early start making pie crust...I'm liking my 14 cup cuisinart better each time I use it, although it has taken some adjusting on my part...It easily holds the 4 cups of flour, and 1 1/2 cups butter/lard mix...It only takes seconds to blend all of this and with the larger bowl doesn't throw flour all over the baking center...I haven't gotten brave enough to add the liquid (egg, vinegar and water) because I think it will mix the butter/lard too much...I dump the mixure into my favorite very large tupperware bowl and drizzle the liquid mixture overtop then mix it all together with a fork and finally with my hands...This makes 4 large pie crusts that work perfectly for my rustic pies...I cut the dough into 4 pieces, shape into round discs, freeze 3 in separate baggies and refrigerate one for later in the morning.

Time to change clothes and go to Enterprise for the dreaded mammogram...Actually I've never been terribly uncomfortable so once Josie gets the machine working (it is a computer and came up with an error message) so she had to shut it down and restart before it would work, while I'm standing there  clutching my cute little coverup and we are making small talk...The joys of being a woman.

Made a stop at Safeway and Dollar Stretcher (found the illusive pickling salt) I could go on a rant here but will save it for another time...I arrived home to pit and slice a few Santa Rosa plums and a bunch of fresh apricots, roll out the now chilled pie crust, assemble the rustic pie and into the oven to bake.

Baked and cooling

It is almost noon and Herb was ready to pick cucumbers...It always helps to have 4 eyes and 4 hands when picking cucumbers...On our small patch we found enough to make a quart of dills and two big ones for us to eat as slicers...Took a good look around the garden and the little black bugs seem to have vacated!..I got the cukes stuffed into a jar and on to process before I took a short rest on the deck before starting dinner.

Oh so pretty

I found pork chops in the sale bin at Safeway, so at home I trimmed the middles to freeze and cut the outside pieces for stirfry...Yakisoba noodles (Bobi's recipe) was on the menu for dinner...I browned the pork after rubbing it with "garlic paste" (I'm loving this stuff) then added leftover spagetti noodles, tossing and browning until all was hot...Set that aside and started a stirfry of onions, garlic, peppers, summer squash, grated ginger, kale and cilantro, adding soy sauce as needed...Dumped the pork and noodles into the stir fry and volè, my version of Yakisoba noodles...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

Yummy
PS...Late afternoon we had pie.





No comments:

Post a Comment