Saturday, August 2, 2014

Huckleberry Fever Continues...55º

Friday August 1, 2014 found us getting an early start on the latest Huckleberry adventure...Pam, Herb and I have a long history...Starting almost 30 years ago Pam and I became friends when we were both working at the Joseph Schools, me in the kitchen and she in special ed and it snowballed from there...But today is not the day for that story as I must write about huckleberries, it is the season!

We took the "Loop Road" and traveled about 60 miles taking us two hours as it is a slow, winding, narrow road but a most beautiful drive...One we have traveled many times...We stopped near "Harl Butte" and checked a favorite huckleberry spot from other years but it was bare, so on we went to "Hells Canyon Overlook" stopped for a potty/photo break and from there soon found ourselves surrounded by huckleberry brush everywhere.

A couple of beauties at Hells Canyon Overlook

Buckwheat

Something happens to ones mind when they are standing in huckleberry brush up to their waist and the bushes are covered with fairly large berries...My mind forgot all about the iPhone/camera that I carried in my pocket...I wasn't carrying that phone to text my friends because NO phone service is found in that area but do you think I remembered to take even one more photo, hell no!

We picked for 2 hours, stopped to eat our lunch and continued picking for another 4 hours...A 12 hour day we returned home weary but jubilant, the smell of huckleberries filled the car...I didn't sort berries last night, we sealed them tightly in tupperware containers, placed them in the fridge, Pam left for home...Herb and I took showers and were in bed by 8:30... 

Wonderful nights sleep last night and now I must get dressed and get busy sorting and freezing berries...Actually huckleberry pancakes might taste good...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

Pam in her glory
 
Lovely Berries

No comments:

Post a Comment