Thursday, August 14, 2014

Rain...60º

I awoke to thunder and flash lightning at 4am, by 5am we had a nice steady shower for about a half hour, supposed to continue off and on for the rest of the day.

Yesterday I was somewhat productive, cleaning, sorting, dusting and scanning a batch of photos...Herb took care of the outside watering and did fetch and carry stuff for me...We had chicken tenders and stir-fry (garden veggies) for dinner...The weather turned hot in the late afternoon and I found myself on the deck, looking at cooking magazines (thanks Pat) and cleaning some of the volunteer garlic that I pulled up recently before it seeded more volunteers.

Last week while following a link on Facebook I came upon a new recipe site...A recipe for Garlic Paste (Toum) caught my eye...Of course you know I have lots of garlic and use lots of garlic and I also have a new/used cuisinart, recently purchased at a yard sale and have only used it once to slice some peppers...It is a 14 cup capacity, instruction booklet not included (much larger than I ever invisioned that I would need but it was such a "good deal."...)This recipe is the same process used to make mayonnaise which I have never tried, but both our kids have and they were free with pointers for success...The most important thing I think is adding the oil slowly and evenly...IF you have a cusinart this is easy because the small cylinder piece that you use as a pusher also locks in place and has a small hole in the bottom of it...(Thanks Bob, I wouldn't have figured this out in a million years..) Filled with oil (it holds about a half cup) and with the machine running it adds a stream of oil to the garlic as it is pulverized and whipped into a thick, creamy paste...Recipe said it would make 3 cups to be kept in the refrigerator and used within 3 months...I ended up with 5 cups...It can be used in and on anything that would normally have garlic and given as gifts as well...What could have turned into a colossal mess with my old 5 cup cusinart worked perfectly in the new 14 cup...Guess I will keep it!..Must get moving, companies coming...Hugs To All...OWAV:)

Garlic, oil, lemon juice, water and salt

Garlic Paste (Toum)

2 comments:

  1. Looks like mayo, too. Might be a little much to put on a sammy though! =) Better label it real good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried it on a small piece of bread last night and it quite potent!..Have garlic paste on the lid and on the jar...Will be interesting to try..

    ReplyDelete