Sunday, October 8, 2023

Time Well Spent...52º...Going to reach 71º

 Several hours spent in the garden yesterday... Asparagus cut down to ground level, aged manure now covers this bed, and today I will cover that with straw for the winter...The last of the manure, I shoveled around the raspberry canes, and will also add straw to that bed...The fall rains will add moisture to soak and feed the plants, for next years bounty.

I remember a day last summer when I was spending a lot of time in the garden and Herb said, "Why are you going out there again?"...I replied, without thinking, "It is my happy place."...The hurt in his eyes was apparent, as I stumbled for words, "I like the sun, digging in the dirt, and watching the seeds grow into food for our dinner, I won't be long, just going to get greens for dinner." I think we both knew that that wasn't really the truth...Due to no fault of his, it was my "happy place," away from the person, who was changing into someone "we" both no longer knew...The insidious disease was taking its toll, on both of us.

In reality, the garden is still my happy place, and Herb no longer lives with the mental confusion, that had become his world...I try to keep our happy memories at the forefront but sometimes these others creep in...Hugs to All...OWAV:)

The season is changing,
leaves on the maple
trees that we 
planted, are turning
to gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment