Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Bread Making Adventure...40º Cloudy

 Scrolling through hundreds of photos this morning I finally found the one I looked for yesterday...I didn't have an iPhone/camera or a laptop, back in 2007, only a cannon power shot for photos and I took way more photos of flower gardens and family gatherings, than I did of food...Maybe if I go through a shoe box full of "real photos" for 2007, 08, 09. I will find one of our "bread booth."

Continuing on with my story...Herb and I both became "professionals" in our specific jobs...I mixed, kneaded and baked the bread...He bagged, added labels, arranged in boxes (being careful not to mash the fresh loaves) and loaded them into the truck, on top of the canopy, tables and signage for our booth.

Arriving at the courthouse lawn in Enterprise, we quickly unloaded and Herb masterminded setting up the canopy...I would have been out of luck without him on this process...It took both of us to make it all work...I soon found out on our initial day, that giving away samples, sold the bread and cookies, so I had pre sliced a loaf of bread and cut a couple of cookies, to entice people to have a bite!..I'm a sucker for "free sample," so figured others would be also, I was right.

Normally people walk through markets, eyes straight ahead, glancing left and right, only occasionally, making eye contact, but as soon as I said, "Would you like a free sample?" I had them hooked, the bread flew off of the table.

Occasionally we had a few loaves left over, sometimes we exchanged with the other vendors, a loaf of bread for a pkg. of ground beef or a pkg. of salad greens...Other times we brought the bread home to share with friends or freeze...I might get a call on the weekend, "Della, we are having guests over for dinner on Sunday, do you have a loaf of bread in the freezer?"..."Yes, I do and I can slice it and wrap it in foil, so all you have to do is warm it in the oven, pick it up anytime."..We never sold "freezer bread" at the next market...It was made fresh every week.  Hugs To All...OWAV:)

Loaves cooling

No comments:

Post a Comment