Tuesday, December 19, 2023

OOPSY...Cloudy, freezing rain, maybe snow...25º

 It is hard for me to admit that I could have made a mistake...It had to be the new "wonky thermometer," that tested boiling water at 212º, at altitude of 4200 feet...But I couldn't blame the foaming fondant in the pan, that nearly overflowed on the stove top and when I tried the soft ball test in icy water, it dissipated into the water, not even a sign of a ball, on the "wonky thermometer." Nope it had to be something else.

I've played this over in my mind for the last two days and yesterday I again measured out the ingredients to make another batch of fondant (I don't give up easily,) as I picked up the jar of "cream of tartar," I did a double take as I read the smudged label, that said "baking soda." I have to admit that soda would probably make things a bit foamy...The jar next to it on the little turn table, was labeled "cream of tartar."

I finished measuring out the ingredients, then since Rusty wants to learn to how to make candy, I turned it over to him...He used his new digital thermometer to test, poured it out onto the marble slab, let it cool, before stirring and stirring until it set up into a nice creamy fondant...Looks like he has another job as chief candy maker.

We did salvage the foaming fondant, by adding some more cream, reheating it, and boiling about 5 minutes (it was still foamy) before pouring it over chocolate chips and miniature marshmallows...It turned into an excellent, creamy delicious fudge. Hugs To All...OWAV:)

Fondant and Fudge

No comments:

Post a Comment