Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Looking Back...Breezy, Balmy 49º


 As I pulled out my Bosch mixer yesterday to made an extra large batch of bread, it reminded me of years ago, about 2007, when I read in the local newspaper that Beth Gibbons was starting a "Farmers Market" and looking for vendors.

Herb and I had been retired since 1994/95, spent some years traveling in our RV, tending to our property here on Barton Heights and helping to care for my mom, who passed away in 2005...I must have been looking for something to do in my spare time, when I picked up the phone, dialed Beth and said, "Do you want a bread vendor in the market?" Dead silence, then, "Are you serious?"

That was the start of a 3 year run, (summer months) when Herb and I made and sold 40 loaves of bread a week...I had given no thought to what this would entail, I just knew that I liked making bread and had many years of practice at my job in the Joseph School cafeteria...So I could do this and Herb was will to come along for the ride...He would do the heavy stuff!

I soon found out that my kitchen-aid mixer would only make 5 loaves at a time and my aim was 20 loaves to take to the market...To start I mixed a batch in the mixer, another by hand and then did a repeat...Our first market day soon arrived, Herb loaded the back of the pickup, with a card table and the bread, we set up our "booth." and sold our 20 loaves in about 3 hours...The next week we bought a canopy, a 5 foot table and I was trying to figure out how I could make 40 loaves...A new mixer was in my future...The Bosch mixer would do 10 loaves in each batch.

We settled into a routine of making 20 loaves on Wednesday, and 20 on Thursday morning and arrived at the 3pm market with warm loaves, selling them first...I set up samples of the 2 kinds of bread, "Oma's Grainy Bread," whole wheat with seeds and the other choice, with raisin/craisins...We later added bread pretzels, with honey, that was a disaster, and finally settled on extra large, carrot cake cookies as an addition...Hugs to All...OWAV:) To be continued

Not the market bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment