Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Clouds, Fog...23º

The fog continues to move around our valley, giving Joseph sunshine most of the time...Cold, fog, cloudy and possible snow is in the forecast...I know the ski areas are hoping for more snow over the Christmas holidays.

Book group was small, with tasty candy/cookies and chex mix adding a little salt...Next months book choice is Luis Urrea's "Into The Beautiful North" as Wallowa County kicks off its "Big Read" on  January 8th, for a month of reading and discussing...Luis Urrea will made an appearance in the county as he is a long time Summer FishTrap presenter and teacher.

Early yesterday morning 8am, I chopped celery and onions, measured out 3 cups of dried beans (rinsed well) and dumped all into the dutch oven, covered with water....Added a frozen package of sliced ham (thanks Pat) put the lid on and slid it into a 200º oven...9:30 I gave it a stir, added more water and put it back in the oven...I got home shortly after noon, stirred the beans again, added some chicken broth and back in the oven...At 2pm I turned the oven to 400º, chopped more celery and onions, added them to the pot, mixed a batch of cornbread...Put it all in the oven for about 20 minutes, and with the addition of a green salad, we sat down to dinner...Comfort food at its best...Hugs To All...OWAV:)



PS.... I had packages to get in the mail and a ladder to deliver...About a week ago I saw in the local trading post--- ISO small wooden ladder 22" tall, 15" wide at the bottom, 2/3 steps...Hmmmm I have one of these stashed away, haven't used it in maybe 10 years and then only as a plant stand...I had bought it, stained it and enjoyed it but soon got tired of dusting it...So I replied "Have one of these, asking $15.00."...I knew the lady advertising and the deal was made, no counter offer just, "Yes, will you hold it for me, until I come into town."...Yesterday we met, downtown Joseph and she was delighted with the ladder...It will be a Christmas present for her husband who had a ladder (painted green) just like this that he used for years, carrying it in his truck for whenever he needed an extra step or two...About a year ago he mistakenly backed over it with his truck...He and the ladder were crushed!...She went to buy a new one and found they don't make them anymore, hence her ad on the trading post.

With a bow added
this will be under the tree Christmas morning.

1 comment:

  1. Giving away my inheritance again, I see!!!! =) Glad it has a new home. Beans look good.

    ReplyDelete