Wednesday, May 27, 2020

More layers added...46º

Yesterday I added a layer of straw to the potato bed and topped it with well aged manure...Next I will cover all of this with wet newspapers, then more straw...The seed potatoes will be "planted" in the straw, then add more straw and another layer of manure over all...Then water and wait for sprouts to show before adding more straw...Growing potatoes this way, will grow clean, mostly scab free, lovely   potatoes...But the yield will be less than potatoes grown in the ground...I'm happy with this trade off...That's a decision only you can make.

When I got too hot and tired from throwing manure etc, I moved to the shade on our deck and planted annuals in pots for summer and hope the deer don''t decide it is their very own salad bar...Here on Barton Heights we struggle with a deer problem...Most of my perennials are not a deer favorite, but their tastes change and some days/years, they eat everything in their path...Hugs to All...OWAV:)


Layer of straw

Layer of manure

Planter on the deck, planted with
Monkey Flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment