Friday, January 14, 2011

Oma With a View 01-14-11 5am 38° Breezy

Had an email yesterday in response to our Christmas letter, from old friends Jerry and LuAnn Gelock.  Had lost track of them so it was good to hear and catch up on a snippet of their life for the past forty years. I Intend to keep in touch.  We met them in New Meadows, Idaho when Herb got his first permanent job with the Forest Service. We started our families together, went shopping, played cards and got together for meals, especially pizza. The guys watched a lot of football. We reconnected with them at different times in Utah and Wyoming.

Have a new friend that I’ve been walking with, but she has been gone for three weeks, so we had much to catch up on today. I play scrabble on facebook with her, she is coming to book group and we sometimes knit together. Mostly we talk!  I enjoy Pats bubbly, fun personality.  

I arrived home to the smell of sauerkraut, sausages and mashed potatoes for dinner.  the sauerkraut is some I made last fall from our homegrown cabbage. Yummy!!

I video chatted with both Rusty and Bobi today on ichat. Russ is fighting some kind of bug. Tease him that it is the Asian or Swine Flu. Seemed better today and hopes to work tomorrow. Bobi is walking and turning one way as she has a kink in her back. Love being able to talk and see both of them everyday, I guess this computer age isn’t so bad after all.  
After taking a short walk yesterday, I returned home with a pull in my "groin".  It has been bothering me for awhile, but only if I'm active.  I heated, iced and stayed off my feet, took drugs and was in bed by 8pm.  I Slept the sleep of the dead, awoke feeling refreshed and ready to go.  Know I will have to stretch, exercise and take short walks to get it functioning properly.  I hope that works.  

While out and about yesterday, I saw many trailers loaded with snowmobiles.  The Oregon state snowmobile convention is being held here in Wallowa County this year.  Next week they will be at Salt Creek Summit for many scheduled events, such as tours, races and what ever snowmobilers do.  In the city of Joseph, they will have breakfast, steak feeds, and adult games. In conjunction with the convention, the Wallowa County Winterfest is also happening.   Chili making and snow sculpturing contests will be held.  Sounds like fun for young and old alike.

I continue my journey through "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer".  I find it difficult to read, with the dialect, slang and style of writing.  I will go to bookgroup on Monday, where we will have a discussion about this very book and my friends there will explain and comment on passages that I'm having problems with.  Then I will probably come home and reread the book, gaining a better understanding of it all.

Must sign off for now, more tomorrow. OWAV :)

No comments:

Post a Comment