Tuesday, January 18, 2011

OWAV:) 01-18-11, 4am, 30° clear,

Awoke at 2:30am, went to the bathroom and back to bed.  Tossed and turned for the next hour and a half but sleep would not come.  So I'm up at 4am.  "Nuisance," the cat, is also up and on the front porch, looking for her next meal.

Sometimes I refer to Nuisance as the perfect cat.  Why I think that, is because she doesn't like to be in the house no matter what the weather.  She arrived at our house over ten years ago, as a bedraggled kitten.  She wanted to be fed, but not petted.  I was determined that she should go back where she came from, she was determined to stay and wouldn't take no for an answer.  Finally we resorted to feeding her small amounts and she hunted for the rest of her diet.  I named her "Scruffy".  As it was now apparent that she was not leaving, and we not wanting a batch of kittens, Herb took her to the vets to be "fixed".  Of course they wanted to know her history and her name for the records.  Herb said, "I, don't remember what Della named her, but I call her a Damn Nuisance".  Thus, her name.

Now after 12 years Nuisance still doesn't like to be in the house, although she does like to be petted.  But only on her terms, and she doesn't want anything to do with sitting in your lap.  She is a good hunter, but as she gets older she comes to the front porch for more of her meals.  Herb has made her a nice warm bed in the lean-to where she spends the cold winter nights.  This winter we have started to supplement her diet with fish added to her dry food because of her advancing age.  I am again saying that when she is gone, there will be no more cats!

I must catch up on what happened in my life yesterday.  My friend Pat picked me up at 9am and we made a quick stop at Soroptomists to look for bargains before attending our monthly book group at Fishtrap House in Enterprise.  Twelve members converged upon the meeting room at 10am to discuss the Big Read book, "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer".  Elizabeth Oliver, former teacher, led the discussion.  She posing questions, with the rest of us giving answers, ideas and thoughts about the book.  It was a lively discussion and enjoyed by all.  For next month we will stay with the "Big Read" agenda and read anything "Twain" and be prepared to discuss what ever topic comes up.  Don't think that will be a problem as we all like to talk.

Pat and I then drove back to Joseph, where we walked and talked, on the track at Joseph schools.  It was very windy so we could walk very fast going one way, with the wind behind us, then struggle going against the wind as we turned the corner.  Gave up after a mile but will be back another day.

I have "write group" today.  I am looking forward to it, first of all, because I love all my friends and miss them when we don't write or I can't attend.  The second reason is that I have written everyday for the past two weeks, a first for me.

I must sign off now, and tend to some things around the house before leaving for the day.  Until tomorrow, OWAV:)

No comments:

Post a Comment