Friday, January 21, 2011

OWAV:) 01-21-11, 5am, 25°, broken clouds

Barton Heights home in Winter
Aha, I figured out how to get a photo on here and it doesn't cover the entire page.  I will have to post later because the turkey broth is boiling and ready to go in quart jars and then into the pressure cooker.  It is going to be a busy day.

We did 30 jars total yesterday, 20 turkey, 5 beef and 5 elk meat.  They are cooled, wiped off and on the cellar shelves.

This morning, 11am, 10 qts of turkey broth are done.  While processing the broth I have been making the chili.  Started with 12# of ground deer and pork meat, that Herb has been grinding.  Added chopped onions, garlic, chili powder, chili con carne mix, cumin, salt, and pepper, then browned all the oven.  Divided this meat mixture into 3, 4# batches, then added tomato juice, paste, and diced tomatoes, to the first batch.  Now I have added 3 quarts of dried beans that soaked overnight(drained). Have put the entire mixture into the oven to  heat, before it goes into pint jars and then into the pressure cooker.  Herb and I have the first canner of 19 pints processing as I write.  We have 7 quarts that will go in as soon as these are done.  Total today looks like 10 quarts broth, 19 pints and 7 quarts of chili.  We will be doing chili for the next two days so I will write about my time in beauty school then.  I'm sure you have heard enough about canning!

It is gray, overcast with a slight drizzle of rain.  Thought about walking but probably not.  More Later, OWAV:)

No comments:

Post a Comment