Saturday, January 22, 2011

OWAV:) 01-22-11, 5am, 30°, Dark

I awoke sometime in the night with the waning moon shinning in the bedroom window. Thought for a few minutes that it was time to get up, but realized it was the moonlight, so turned over and went back to sleep.

Just had a surprise chat with Rusty, he usually connects with us on his mornings and our evenings, as China is 13 hours ahead of us.  Good to hear that their job is about finished.  He will probably be off for at least a month and the next job will be in China, Brazil or New Jersey.

I have my scrabble games caught up so I better get busy on the next batch of chili.  Sure is good to have something to do on these long winter days. :)

9:30 and the first canner of chile is processing.  I'm watching it as I write.  The other one is jarred and waiting in the oven.  Sun is shinning, beautiful day.

❈ BS ❝My living arrangement worked, the apartment thought small, was adequate for the two of us.  Silvia had Saturdays off so she took on the job of cleaning the living room, I the bedroom and both of us kept our messes cleaned up in the kitchen.  I did most of the dishes.  We were both novice cooks, but we shopped together for bargains at the nearby store and each did some of the cooking.  I remember our standby meals as, meatloaf, burgers, chicken noodle soup, (made from chicken wings, very cheap in those days) and hotdogs.  We both packed a lunch everyday, that also came out of our meager food budget. There was a Woolworths store with lunch counter on main street, but we couldn't afford to eat lunch downtown.

The one luxury we had was a subscription to the Sunday newspaper.  Since Sunday was my only day off I did sleep in and then read the Sunday paper in bed. Silvia attended church every Sunday and other meetings during the week.

Laundry was done on Sundays.  Since I only had two uniforms, I would wash them out once, by hand, during the week and then do both of them again on Sunday.

The dress code for beauty school was very strict.  We were required to wear white uniforms, nylons and white shoes.  Panty hose hadn't been invented yet so the nylons required a garter belt or girdle with fasteners for nylons.   We were expected to act and look professional at all times.❞

Enough for now, chili is done except for cleaning the jars before they go to the cellar.
Looking forward to tomorrow, OWAV:)

1 comment: