Sunday, January 30, 2011

OWAV:) 01/30/11, 4am, 26° foggy

Promised myself that I would blog, then do scrabble.  Okay so I did two scrabble games and was about to start blogging, when my ichat icon started bouncing on the dock.  Soon Rusty appears on my screen, asking "What are you doing up at this time of day?"  Of course it is 9pm in Shanghai.  He was just home from having "hot pots" at a Korean restaurant, he said "One of the better meals for the money."  He, Balin and Trevor were BS-ing before retiring for the night.  Trevor will leave for the states in two days.  Rusty, Ebon, and Balin will go to Vietnam for a couple of weeks, to soak up some sunshine before coming home.  They are all very glad to have this China job finished.  Another job in China will open up this summer so they might be back there soon, this time working in the heat instead of the cold weather.  Will probably go to Brazil before that.

Nothing on the agenda today.  After doing the potholders yesterday I think I will cut out several of them while I have everything (rotary cutter, board etc) out on the kitchen table.  That way I can sew them at my leisure without the clutter.  Also must do some cleaning of the kitchen and bathroom.  I have a casserole thawed for dinner today and a stewing hen ready to go into the stew pot for some time next week.  Also have a corned beef thawing, so have meals and leftovers planned for the rest of the week.

❝Sylvia and I were settled into our routine and quite comfortable with each other.  Job and school took up most of our time so had very little time for social or leisure activities.  I remember going to church and mutual (social for teens in Mormon Church) a few times.  One Sunday afternoon we packed a lunch, walked quite a distance to the bus stop that would take us to Ann Morrison Park, along the Boise River.  It was a nice sunny day, and we had an enjoyable picnic outing.  I must have had a Monday off for the 4th of July, because I took the bus on Sunday morning and went to stay overnight at Mona and Jerry's, (sister and brother-in-law).  They were living in Middleton, Idaho, only thirty miles away.  Jerry was going to college at Boise State.  They took me back to Boise on Sunday afternoon.

Some explanation is due:  Travel and communication was very different in those days.  Where today everyone has their own car or easy access to one, and almost everyone has their own cell phone and a computer.  "Back then" telephones were costly to have in your home so they were considered a luxury.  Travel was kept to a minimum for school, work and maybe a yearly vacation. One car to a family was the norm.  Computers, not even a glimmer.

If we absolutely had to call home, there was a pay phone just a block away from our apartment.  I started school in June, saw Mom and Daddy once that summer, when they came to Boise for a Doctor's appointment, again in October when Daddy had surgery.  I somehow got home for Thanksgiving and Christmas.  Got out of school in March.

I wrote letters to Herb, he was working for the summer, in McCall for the Forest Service, then would be back in College at the University of Idaho, at Moscow in the fall.  I also wrote to Mom and Daddy every week and at times, I was very homesick, but tried not to let it show.  We couldn't afford to have a telephone. In September Herb came to visit before he went back to college.  I remember going to the Idaho State Fair.❞

Enough for today, later. OWAV:)

No comments:

Post a Comment