Thursday, January 24, 2013

Games we play...30º

My head was spinning as I trudged up our hill from the neighbors...Marsha hosted their regular pinocle club at her house and asked me to sit in as a sub, something I've done one other time...I know all the ladies who are regulars so feel comfortable with them...The game is different than I'm used to so have to pay attention to the cards, trying not to make glaring mistakes...These ladies don't seem to worry about mistakes, they are there to visit and have a good time and the cards seem secondary.

Common questions are; What is trump again? Who led that ace? Is it my turn to deal? Did you count that right? Are you sure you took that trick? and so on...So my silly questions fit right in, I feel at home...Scoring of the meld is done so fast that I'm still trying to see if I have anything to lay down, while they are ready to start the play...What makes my head spin though is that all the time they are playing cards they are talking about (example) what restaurant has the best tacos in the county, does the bowling alley have a buyer?..Their latest trip to Vegas, how long is the strip, where are the best shows?..Did you know that the Lostine Tavern closed?..Someone bought Crows store in Lostine, a local boy went to New York, now has money and is moving back...Wonder is it is a tax write off?..Is it ever going to warm up?..I'm so blankety blank tired of this cold weather! OMG

This kind of conversation, laughter and expletives continued for 4 & 1/2 hours...We played two games took a brief intermission between games for stretching and cherry crisp...Everyone was drinking, but would you believe only TEA or WATER...I made my way home, just starting to get dark, wind blowing, maybe clearing my head...My partner and I won both games, I took only one bid but had great helper hands...I needed a drink but settled for food, I was ravenous and exhausted...The second time Herb saw me looking in the fridge, He said, "Are you eating again?" What could I say?...Hugs to All...OWAV:)

Sunset over twin peaks


No comments:

Post a Comment